Monday, September 15, 2008

TV Update

So we are done with a full day of no tv. We kept really busy until about 6, and then it got tough. Here was the schedule:

7:00 up, kids ate breakfast
7:30-8:30 Kids helped me change sheets, clean up their bedrooms, vacuum
8:30-10:00 random wandering around, played with blocks, played with the doll house, threw lava rocks out of planters while I dressed and hair-did all three of us
10:00-11:30 Playdate
11:30-12:15 Lunch, got ready to take Syd to dance
12:30-1:30 Dance for Syd, Ron read H books, took him on a walk down the ally, stole apples from the neighbor and sat in the alley and ate them. Gross.
1:30-3:45 Nap (including me, as Syd came to sleep with us at 3:30 and and I spent the rest of the night with either her face buried in my bosom or a knee in my back)
3:45-4:30 snack and "free play"
4:30-6:00 Made nature books and took yet another walk down the alley as a family. Put random items in our ziploc bags, knocked more apples down from the neighbor's tree with a pole used for cleaning the pool
6:00-7:00 ate cheerios, Owl craft, put stickers on paper, ate dinner
7:00-7:30 Bath
7:30-8:00 Ron talked me into allowing them to watch a "video" that has singing and dancing. Like a cd with dancing. It is watching tv, and I know it. But I don't care as I am so thrilled to be alone for a few mins. H-Dubya isn't even watching. I hear him crinkling magazine paper as I type.

The good thing about no tv is it is much quieter around the house. Also, they go to bed on time because we started the movie at exactly 7:30 and they know it is a treat. So we are keeping tabs on the viewing instead of just letting them watch a DVRed show, which goes back to Noggin when it is over so they are halfway through ANOTHER show before one of us notices they have missed bedtime by 15, 30, however many minutes.

Due to the wildness of the day I have no pictures to post from our walk or crafting. I will try to do better tomorrow.

I do have a full bag of apples. Ron was just sure Syd would want to get to it and make an apple pie TONIGHT. He was disappointed when he found out she had her heart set on making the owl. I may make him a pie while I am home alone and the kids are at MDO tomorrow. But I may not.

3 comments:

Will's mom said...

I am so impressed with you! How you manage to do all of this and work from home -- you are my new hero!!!!

Erin said...

I don't work unless the kids are at MDO, or Ron is watching them, or they are asleep. Mostly just when they are at MDO.

Jamie said...

Wow... VERY impressive. My daughter has a hard addiction to TV and breaking her AND her father of it is TOUGH. I talked to him about it after I read your blog from Sunday night and he told me I was NUTS to even think it would work! :( I will try it soon! Keep us updated!