Sunday, September 14, 2008

TV. As addictive as crack

Starting tomorrow, the kids will not watch tv for 5 full days. That's right. I have been struggling with H-Dub for sometime. He is pretty much addicted to tv. He likes to watch Toy Story 1&2 and Ice Age 1&2 as many times as possible, mixed in with whatever is on Playhouse Disney in the morning and Noggin throughout the day. I know this effects his interest in structured activities, focus, following directions, etc.

We keep the tv on pretty much most of the day, if we are home. And it has slowly gotten out of control. We often we aren't home much, but when we are it gets especially bad. And bad it was last week during the 40 days and 40 nights of rain (exaggeration) here in L-town.

It is going to cause more work for me, as I will have to get up when Syd does (usually around 6:30) because she usually watches some tv by herself when she wakes up and I sleep til H-Dubya wakes up, around 7:30. I will also need to get up extra early to do my vacuuming, dishes, laundry. The kids play really well together most days while I TCOB, but the tv is on pretty much all the time while we are home so they play together, then take a break and zone out.

Ron and I won't be able to watch tv, either, but honestly the only thing he watches is Myth Busters and Fox News, and it is not a daily thing, anyway. I don't watch tv until the kids go to sleep most nights.

I am most nervous about the times when I cook dinner, and before bed. Syd watches a Calliou episode every night. I don't know how we will get around that without heinous fits, but I am hoping the offer of reading 7 books in mommy's bed each night will be a good compromise. I am going to ask Brokeback to commit to taking the kids out front or for a walk around the block during the "witching hour", around 5 to 6. I don't know that he will, though, as when I broached the subject earlier today he said, "better you than me." Yikes.

I will be employing strategies such as keeping the tv covered with a blanket or sheet, and having the day full of outdoor and indoor fun activities planned. I will post the plans later today or tomorrow.

Here is a great post about reducing tv time. Reducing TV Time
I am first going to go cold turkey so that it isn't such a habit. Next weekend, though, I will gradually add tv time in and use a timer and log to keep myself accountable.

WISH ME LUCK!

1 comment:

Will's mom said...

Please let me know how this works. Will is bad about Nemo and Cars, but loves to play outside too. Our biggest fight would be the no Backyardigans before bed!!!