Saturday, September 27, 2008

Beware of High Fructose Corn Syrup


I stopped purchasing foods and snacks that include high fructose corn syrup last December. My precious and nutrition concious sister in law was in town, and we went to the grocery store together. She informed me of the dangers of it and how it contributes to obesity in children. I have checked labels since then. No more jelly unless it is low sugar and no HFCS, no more teddy grahams, only whole grain goldfish, no fruit bites, etc.

I recently read this article, which reinforced my decision.

I then looked at this and was disappointed to find out that HFCS is also hidden in other products that I still have in the house, like RITZ CRACKERS! Of course this is one of H-Dub's favorite foods. We don't eat lunchables, (the kids don't like them), but I was surprised it is in it, also. And the very worst, for Syd, HENIZ KETCHUP. I wonder if HFCS is in the whole wheat Ritz Crackers?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

We also removed HFC from our diet along with other preservatives and additives a couple years ago. It is so difficult finding pure food.

And have you seen the new ad campaign promoting high fructose corn syrup?? It's awful!!

Erin said...

I haven't seen it! I see if I can find it on youtube.com. Disturbing.