Thursday, September 25, 2008

Peanut Butter and Apple-Bacon Sandwiches



I did not take the above picture. I got it off of the Better Homes and Gardens Website. I got this recipe out of the September mag last year, and made it tonight for Brokeback and I. The snooty kids wouldn't eat them. But they are so picky lately I didn't expect them to. Sigh. Anywho, here is the recipe. Again, they are sooooo GOOD! I plan on making them for guests for lunch or dinner someday. We used one of Syd's gold apples that she picked on her field trip to the Apple Orchard today. She says she had a great time. I am sure you can all guess how I feel about not being on her FIRST field trip. Sniff.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup peach preserves
* Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
* 8 slices whole grain bread
* 1 large yellow or green crisp apple, cored and very thinly sliced
* 8 slices applewood-smoked bacon or other bacon, crisp-cooked and drained
* 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
* 2 to 3 Tbsp. butter, softened

Directions

1. In a small bowl stir together preserves and cayenne pepper. Place 4 slices of bread on work surface; spread slices with preserves. Top with apples and bacon. Spread one side of remaining bread slices with peanut butter; place, spread side down, over apples and bacon. Spread sandwich tops with some of the butter.

2. Preheat griddle or very large skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches, buttered side down, on griddle. Carefully spread unbuttered bread with butter. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until bread is golden and sandwiches are heated through. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: