Monday, September 8, 2008

For Ordering a Life Wisely

This is a prayer by St. Thomas Aquinas, slightly shortened. I recently read this prayer on another blog and it totally spoke to me, and where I am in my life right now. So perfect. It is what I think but don't know how to put into words myself. Hope it speaks to some of you, also.


O merciful God, grant that I may
desire ardently,
search prudently,
recognize truly,
and bring to perfect completion whatever is pleasing to You
for the praise and glory of Your name.

Put my life in order, O my God.

Grant that I may know
what You require me to do.

Bestow upon me
the power to accomplish Your will,
as is necessary and fitting
for the salvation of my soul.

Grant to me, O Lord my God,
that I may not falter
in times of prosperity or adversity,
so that I may not be exalted in the former,
nor dejected in the latter.

May I not rejoice in anything
unless it leads me to You;
may I not be saddened by anything
unless it turns me from You.

May I desire to please no one,
nor fear to displease anyone,
but You.

May all transitory things, O Lord,
be worthless to me
and may all things eternal
be ever cherished by me.

May any joy without You
be burdensome for me
and may I not desire anything else
besides You.

May all work, O Lord,
delight me when done for Your sake
and may all repose not centered in You
be ever wearisome for me.

Give to me, O Lord my God,
understanding of You,
diligence in seeking You,
wisdom in
finding You,
discourse ever pleasing to You,
perseverance in waiting for You,
and confidence in finally embracing You.

You Who live and reign, God, world without end. Amen.

No comments: