Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Learning at home: Math

Syd was not interested in this first activity for as long as I thought she would be. I would just write a number (9 or under) and she would count out that number of bears.


Syd really loves this game, which I got off of montessori free fall. I have a fab math games kit from my teaching days. The name of it is Box Cars and One Eyed Jacks. Gigi bought it for me my first year of teaching in Austin. I can't tell you the fun we had with the kit. We used it every week and my kids scored well on the Math TAKS every year. But that is a story for another day. Anywho, I used the big die from the kit, and some spiral noodles, tongs, and a muffin tin. Brokeback taught and helped Syd with this activity. She would roll the die, then put that many pieces of noodles into the tin using the tongs. This way we are working fine motor skills and counting. And she is memorizing some of the numbers on the die without counting.

No comments: