Sunday, April 27, 2008

Obsessive Attachment

Syd has loved her blanket since she was 4 months old. At that time, we went to Jacksonville so that I could finish my Masters. I needed two summer school classes that were offered in a one month period. We stayed in an extended stay hotel, and with a friend who was kind enough to put us up for two weeks! Ron was with me for two weeks, and then my mother came for two weeks. Sydney of course had some trouble sleeping. At this time my mother was able to get her to take a pacifier, and found that she had a serious thing for one particular blanket, which she has always called Beese. It is really thin, thinner than a sheet. It is also a blanket that was mine as a baby and that can't be replaced, unfortunately. If she was crying we could put it over her head and she would moan and stop.

She still sleeps with the thing today. We tried to make her leave it on her bed at all times, but this is something I have been painfully lax about lately. Brokeback actually notices it more than I do. Well, when I made the post below I noticed in the pictures she has the thing with her. She is squatting so that she can hold it with her leg and still do the activity. I have since noticed that if she wants to use the shopping cart, she puts it in the bottom so she can take it around with her. This is something that I thought she would have kinda grown out of by now. But she indeed has not. When did you or your children give up the Linus-type blanket obsession?

1 comment:

Hill Country Happenings said...

Relax. I think I was like 6 before I gave up my blanket and Monica was older than that. If I can vividly remember her having it and they didn't move there until I was 5 - we must have been middle elementary school before our parents "cut the cord" on the blankie