Monday, October 6, 2008

MOPS Convention

I went to the MOPS convention in Dallas this weekend. It was great fun. I went with my two church besties.

We had a false start, when I went to pick up M Brokeback called and said H-Dubya's teacher called to say that the stitch or loop in his tear duct was COMING OUT! So we rushed to meet Brokeback at school, picked up both the kids and went to the doctor. The dr. pulled it out and cut it. The issue is he somehow popped the stitch in his nose. His nose bled a little bit the day after the surgery, so it most likely popped then. So now the chance of the tear duct surgery working is only 50-50. Brokeback nor I are up for doing it again, so please pray that it works.

We booked a room at the Gaylord Texan with two double beds in April. There were 4,000 women at the conference. I personally met a woman from Alaska, there were also women from Japan and Switzerland. We got there around 7 and ALL the double bed rooms had been taken since 5. So, the three of us enjoyed sleeping in a king together. We would have felt more sorry for ourselves if we didn't witness the arrival of about 8 women who drove their church van down from Washington State get put into two rooms with king beds, also. They were totally out of roll out beds, so I assume someone was sleeping on the floor. So disappointing. The next day they comped us half the room and got us the same rate at the Wolf Lodge across the street. Talk about a family hotel! That place is awesome. But that is a post for another day.

I learned a TON from the seminars and did a great deal of shopping in the HUGE shopping area. My mind is swimming with all of the information and how I can put it into process in our daily lives.

We went to a general session that lasted about 2 hours every day. They were great. Here is how far we always were from the stage because we refused to ever get there early:



We got to see great Christian singers like Plum and Jacie Velasquez. The speakers were very inspirational. The last session we went to included an interview with this person. See the woman in the middle? Can you tell who she is?



Or now:



OR NOW??




It is LYNN SPEARS!! Mother of Brittany, Brian, and Jamie Lynn. She has recently written a book that she is promoting. I can't remember the name but I feel sure you can find it on Amazon.

I actually learned something from her interview! Lynn is a Christian woman whose children have made some poor choices, as we all have. Unfortunately it has cost them more than some. She has done the best she can as a mother, like we all do. You cannot be with your children every minute, you cannot control their every move. My kids are still very young and hold such promise. But just because they aren't old enough to make some big mistakes yet doesn't mean they never will. And I work very hard to help them live and grow as Christians and make good choices. But who knows what will happen once they are out of my house?

1 comment:

Angie said...

We should have taken some pictures of us. Especially when we crashed the waterpark and partied til the wee hours...if only we had packed swimsuits that could have really happened. What a shame.