Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Work

I am enjoying my time at work! I thought my last school was the best thing since sliced bread, but where I am now is just as enjoyable a place to work, if you can believe it. Every school has it's strengths and weaknesses, but I really like a laid back campus and this campus definitely is. I know it is different when it is "your" school and you have that committment to it, but this makes me feel like I could definitely go back. Of course, when I do I feel sure my kids will have to be in an all day preschool from 9 to 4ish, I will work for longer than 5 weeks straight without a break, and I will be some school's TAKS coordinator. But I can handle it.

There are a couple of negatives about working. Number one, I only have about 3 to 3.5 "quality" hours with my kids afterschool, and I kinda stress out making them really count. Maybe that gets easier, I don't know. Number two, I am rushing around like a friggin' chicken with my head cut off, packing lunches, feeding and bathing, doing laundry etc. Number three, due to the busyness that comes from being away from home all day I am not able to keep up with my reading habit that I love so much. I used to be able to read a bit while they napped, at night, while Syd was in dance class, etc. Now it is right before I go to sleep and I am so tired I don't get but about 20 minutes in. Something has to give and my sleep is most important, but I feel sure it is going to take me forever to get through my current nonfiction choices that really need to be read. The Wonder of Boys and Boys and Girls Learn Differently! . I would also love to read The Minds of Boys:Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life, but at this time it is not available at paperbackswap.com or at the sub-par public library. It may be July by the time I finish the two I have at the rate I am going, anyway. My 20 minutes obviously goes towards the fiction or "escape" books I so love.

2 comments:

Will's mom said...

Welcome to my world! I am still trying to figure out how to do it all and I am 2 years into this!

The guilt of only having 3 hours with them is the worst for me!

kristen lewis said...

I hate the routine of packing lunches and diaper bags, sterilizing bottles, etc EVERY night. And I hear you on maximizing the time that you do get after school. Being a working mom is such an intricate balancing act.

Good to see you today.