Friday, June 13, 2008

Our 911 Emergency :)

Yesterday H-Dubya and I went to pick Syd up from her "art class". She has taken an "art factory camp" at the Garden and Arts Center everyday this week from 9-10:30. This week's theme was paint, so they paint, read books, play games, go on a nature walk, and have a snack everyday. She absolutely loves it. She is going to participate in another camp in August, and as much as she has enjoyed this one I am tempted to let her take one in July, also. But then I think about how busy we are and it is supposed to be summer, darn it!

Anywho, after we picked her up we headed over to the CVS on 34th and Slide. All CVS's were having a 4 12 packs for $11 sale. The CVS's near our house were all picked over. When we get there, they have cars that are connected to the front of the baskets. They are "made" to accomodate one child. However my two petite children managed to squeeze in. Syd was a real witch about the steering wheel. I had to absolutely force her to let H-Dubya have a turn. Eventually, he was so offfended he got out, and I can't say I blame him. Not one bit. His walking of course brought another set of problems, and let's just say I was unable to continue choosing some father's day cards. FATHERS DAY is SUNDAY, for those who have forgotten.

We head outside to get the kids in the car. I remote start it because it has been up to 105 degrees here lately. I wish I were exaggerating. Syd gets settled in her seat, and H-Dubya is so thrilled to have the car to himself he hauls himself back in. And the cart begins to roll away. So I close Syd's door and catch it.

This is unfortunate. Because my keys were in. the. car.

Of course, I thought Syd is such a bright girl that surely she can unbuckle herself and get the keys. Um, not a chance. She sits and cries, and a sweet old woman notices our peril. My cell phone is of course, in. the. car. So she offers hers and tells me to call 911 as they will come unlock a car with a child in it for free. I go ahead and do just that.

And here comes a FIRE TRUCK. That is right. Lights are going, and so is the siren. We all stop crying, but out of the three of us I am the only one who is moritified. They open the car in less than 2 minutes. I mentioned on the phone that I had remote started the car so the air conditioner would be going for awhile. It stopped literally about a min before the FIRE TRUCK pulled up. Apparently that piece of information was not relayed, because a fireman runs over to Syd's side with a blood pressure cuff, throws open the door and asks if she is hot. She says no and smiles and laughs. She has not broken a sweat. So he moved along. And so did we.

I call Brokeback on the way home. His only response was, "you should have called onstar. They could have unlocked the suburban for you." Nice.

3 comments:

The Sketoes said...

Ok, from the outside looking in that is quite funny! I was chuckling the entire time. I am glad that all ended well, though! Ha ha!

lfhcreative said...

I needed a laugh!

And don't feel bad for calling the fire department, they get bored and love to have easy, happy endings to calls like that!

Will's mom said...

Bless your heart. This happened to a friend of mine that shall remain nameless. She too called 911 and was mortified when they pulled up with sirens and lights blazing. She was so embarrassed, and when she told her husband, he also reminded her about Onstar. I have filed that away for when this happens to me!!!!